house of happy

Life adventures in prose and verse. Explorations of places, people and words. Stories and fun.

Monday 28 January 2013

Jaws for January

I hate January. January is a two-faced bitch.
Too close to the past, too far from the future
and all that talk about endings and beginnings and
not least, not last,
the high-laced boot
the scent, the snarl
of every war
I'll have to fight
and more.

So I dive back into December
the few days of December
when I still had you:
my shield, my secret sun
my white wizard...
I sit there a while
and hold your hand
and try to unlock
your last smile.
You feed your warm, long memories
to stranded swallows
and empty pigeons...
and they fly before I catch them,
and you fly too
inside a blizzard.

And then this bitch January
Comes and closes the gate.

Where do I go now?
Is it too late?

So full of longing and rage,
so careless am I and light,
so new (that's the spirit in January, right?)

I open my blue jaws
and crunch the harpy
in two.





3 Comments:

At 28 January 2013 at 14:11 , Blogger Unknown said...

pretty bloody fantastic poem.
Stephanie

 
At 2 February 2013 at 09:50 , Anonymous Marina Sofia said...

January the witch - no sooner do you let her in, then she tries to depress you, confuse you, keep you in her clutches forever, make you believe she is invincible. No comfort there. Then, just as you reach some kind of agreement, she's gone... and that even harsher, indecisive Witch February shows up.

 
At 5 February 2013 at 04:31 , Blogger emwolfem said...

Ha ha, you're right... but I won't say a bad word about April or May, OK? x

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home